Below you will find detailed descriptions of business, educational, and fun sessions. To view the full Convention schedule, click here.
This page will be updated as session topics and speakers are finalized.
Friday, February 23
CONVENTION KEYNOTE PRESENTATION
Building Value in Your Workplace: Tactics and Strategies the Smartest Leaders are Making to Navigate and Grow in 2024 and 2025
The Midterms are over. Inflation remains sticky. Labor is still in short supply. AI is taking over the world and succession planning is now a bigger challenge. What’s next for your business? What are other businesses doing to navigate their ways towards growth and profitability in 2024 and beyond? How are they attracting and retaining talent? What technologies are they investing in? What are you now to build value in your business for future generations...or buyers? How will regulations from DC and your state impact your business and what steps should you be taking now to prepare yourself?
During this fast paced, entertaining and extremely valuable discussion, Gene will go over real life, feet-on-the-ground strategies and tactics that smart leaders are using to navigate their way through the new political environment and the current economic slowdown and position their companies for future growth.
You will learn:
- About the latest congressional initiatives that will impact your industry
- Strategies smart companies are using this year to navigate inflation and supply chain issues
- Tactics that forward-thinking leaders are using to not only retain their best employees during a downturn but to attract new talent;
- About a few little known metrics that give the best indication of our economic future
- The cash flow moves managers are making now to ensure they have adequate reserves for the downturn
- The latest technologies that are attracting investments from small and mid-sized companies and which are helping to keep
overhead low and profits growing
- How smart businesses are saving money even as healthcare costs rise
During this fast-moving, informative and entertaining presentation, Forbes Technology columnist and consultant Gene Marks will share his thoughts on the biggest technology and AI trends that will affect your business in the near and long term and help you make the right investment decisions.
ChatGPT, AI, and Beyond: Game-Changing Technologies That Will Impact Your Industry
Presented by Gene Marks
You’ve read about ChatGPT, Microsoft’s Copilot, Google’s Bard/Duet and other AI tools that will be changing the way we work, both in the short and longer term. As a business leader you want to leverage this technology to increase both productivity and profits. So what should you know now? Where should you be investing?
You will learn:
- About artificial intelligence, what it means and how it works
- How ChatGPT and related systems can be used right now in your business
- The latest updates from Microsoft, Google, Apple and other big tech companies that will drive AI adoption in your business
- Advice for tightening up your company’s data to fully leverage automation tools and an update on the latest security tools and processes for protecting your data
- Examples of how your customer relationship management, financial and HR platforms will be utilizing AI in the near and long term
- Specific AI and other technologies for your industry to review and consider
- The latest reporting and financial automation tools to increase productivity internally
AGCVA General Membership Meeting & Legislative Update with Lunch
We hope you'll join us for this session. This is your opportunity to find out the latest about what AGCVA is doing for you, how to maximize your member benefits, and important information about the 2024 General Assembly session.
Fun Session: Craps Gaming Demonstration
Enjoy a gaming demonstration held by the casino staff as they present the basic skills to play the Craps table. Participants have the chance to learn the secrets behind the odds and how the house advantage is set up. Along with the table game, the will also have a better understanding on the mechanics of the slot machine and sports betting.
Sporting Clays Competition
Please contact The Gun Club directly to determine available times and schedule accordingly. You will be billed directly by The Greenbrier. The Greenbrier Gun Club will capture your shoot scores and provide those scores to AGCVA. You must be registered for the AGCVA Convention in order to participate in the competition and be eligible for prizes. The top two male and female shooters will be announced, and prizes awarded..
Saturday, February 24
35 Years of Working with Contractors Distilled into 60 Minutes: Blunt Conversation About the When and Why of Succession
Finding a clear path to secure the future of your company doesn’t have to be difficult. Peace of mind and clarity when it comes to succession planning is a top priority, and you likely have many questions about where to begin, what to do and what not to do, and what challenges you might expect along the way. Join Wayne Rivers, co-founder and President of The Family Business Institute for this conversational session that addresses your top questions about how to plan for your company’s successful future.
Whether you choose to ask your questions during the session or submit them in advance, Wayne will answer as many questions as he can to help you approach your company’s succession plan with knowledge, direction, and confidence.
You will learn:
1. The best time to begin succession planning
2. The most common succession mistakes
3. What are the THREE types of succession plans you need - and why?
Unveiling VOSH: Transforming Compliance into Safety Excellence
Are VOSH visits keeping you up at night? Discover the untapped potential of a fruitful partnership with the Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH) Program during our VOSH breakout session.
No one enjoys unexpected VOSH visits, but what if we told you that beyond compliance, there's a world of opportunities waiting to enhance your jobsite safety and elevate your company's performance? VOSH is the Commonwealth’s counterpart to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Join our session for an unfiltered exploration of the myriad ways you may be missing out on leveraging VOSH services.
You will learn:
- How to transform VOSH visits from sources of anxiety into catalysts for improved performance.
- Ways to unearth the hidden benefits of VOSH collaboration.
- How to elevate both jobsite safety and your company's overall excellence.
- How to harness the power of VOSH for a brighter future.
This will be a single elimination tournament to include up to 32 participants, making up 16 teams. You will register as an individual rather than as a team. We will have a waiting list available in the hospitality suite to account for no-shows. We will wait a few minutes for those registered to arrive and will fill no-show spots from the waiting list. Those on the waiting list need to be present at the start of the tournament in order to be placed in an empty slot. Those on the waiting list will be entered in the tournament if and when spaces become available. Waiting list participants will be assigned based on the order in which they sign up.